What to see and do at the open day
Here's the walking route of the open day and a brief overview of what you can see. We'll give each visitor an information booklet with this included, however you can click for a downloadable PDF version in advance. Attractions are subject to change. Click on the image for a larger version!
Depot - ground floor
1. Train bogies (wheel sets on turntables)
2. Visit the recruitment stand for information about careers including apprenticeships and the National Training Academy for Rail
3. Board a Class 332 train (via stairs). Alternative external route available
4. Hear about the recent re-design of the Heathrow Express Class 332 interior for a superior passenger experience
5. Sit in a driver’s train cab and ask a real train driver questions
6. Viewing area out to mainline tracks (towards London Paddington)
7. Walk beside a Class 360/2, high up on the maintenance road
8. Viewing point of the Class 332 up on jacks for maintenance – good place for pictures!
9. Take an exciting walk under a stationary Class 322 train to see how it’s maintained. Bump caps and protective equipment will be provided. Alternative walking route alongside the train available.
10. View into the Supervisor’s control office to see where the maintenance and depot movements are controlled from
11. See up close the calibrated tools that help keep a train maintained
12. Get hands-on in the stores area with real train parts and how they work
13. Talk to the experts at Heathrow Express about the train operation, route and what’s coming up
14. Catering stands (with 10% of profits going to our chosen charity)
15. Macmillan Cancer Support charity stand, raffle and cake stall for the World's Biggest Coffee Morning and Class 332 commemorative train pin badges
16. British Transport Police
17. Face painting
Depot upper level (accessed from outside - disabled access available)
18. Viewing area of the main line
19. Design your own train carriage competition with the opportunity to win a return ride in a driver's cab on a Heathrow Express train
Look out for Paddington™ at regular intervals!